Wednesday 20 October 2010

One for the vegans amongst you...

Last night I was only cooking for myself so decided to indulge my tofu obsession a little bit.

I have always loved tofu, and thinking back I think this is because of a character from the Baby Sitters Club books I used to read as a kid - one of the characters (Dawn, I think) was all exotic, from California, and constantly brought tofu salads to school. I have had a fascination with it since. (So much so that I judge the quality of a Chinese takeaway by how many tofu dishes they serve).

I dabbled with being a vegetarian in high school until I became anaemic and realised there was only so long I could go without my mum's beef schnitzel. However the tofu legacy remained and I went through a phase in year 12 of frying cubes of tofu in teriyaki sauce for breakfast each morning...

Last night I resurrected an old favourite of mine - Chilli Tofu with Couscous. I get a weekly organic veg box from Abel & Cole and a couple of weeks ago they sent me a free bag of assorted chillies. I decided to use an entirely innocent looking one in this dish and it certainly had the desired effect... Enjoy.

400g firm tofu (cubed)
3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
1 hot chilli (chopped, leave seeds in if you like it hot, otherwise remove)
1tbs olive oil
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
400g tin of kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
1 cup couscous
basil

Fry the garlic and chilli until golden, add tofu and cook until golden all over.




add chopped tomatoes and kidney beans, mix and then simmer whilst you prepare the couscous.




Add 300ml boiling water to 1 cup of couscous, stirring occasionally until all the water is absorbed.

Gently stir the couscous into the tofu mixture, sprinkle a small amount of basil to taste and then serve.




Makes 2 large portions.

LOW GI rating.


No comments:

Post a Comment