Tuesday 19 October 2010

Spaghetti with Anchovies and Asparagus

A fantastic cookbook called 'Pasta' by Theo Randall was released this year and it has become somewhat of a bible to me. When I cook I very rarely follow recipes to the letter and usually aim at making them my own, the book just providing inspiration.

Last night I cooked spaghetti with asparagus in an anchovy sauce which was delicious, and truth be told, even nicer reheated today for lunch. Before I cook tonight's tea, this is how I did it...

500g spaghetti
bunch of Asparagus (chopped)
olive oil
handful of breadcrumbs
3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
60g of anchovy fillets
basil (preferably fresh, i used dry this time)
1 tsp crushed/dried chilli
150ml double cream
handful of grated parmesan

Fry the garlic in a tablespoon of oil and golden, add anchovies and break them up with a wooden spoon (they will virtually disintegrate). Add chilli and asparagus and simmer.

Boil spaghetti; add cream to anchovy sauce, bring to a simmer and then turn down to thicken the cream.

Drain spaghetti when ready, leaving a small amount of cooking water in pan, return spaghetti to pan and add anchovy sauce, mixing it through the pasta. Add breadcrumbs and basil, mix again before finishing with parmesan.

This gives four good portions.


LOW GI rating

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, I'll have some of this please. Is it as good as the Sainsbury's linguine with asparagus recipe you gave me? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. i cant even remember that one... can you email it me?

    ReplyDelete